Thursday, April 21, 2005

Light... action!

Finally I already passed TS my practical exam. So relieved!! I've been nervous these past few days becoz of this PE. The PE was quite scary at first. I needed to control my heartbeat when the light is on. When it came to my turn, I was telling myself over and over "Be calm...". Luckily when I already said my first line, my nervousness faded away and I could say my next lines smoothly. I didn't forget any of the lines. Phew.. but I don't know how the judges graded my acting. Anyway, at least I already did my best and I didn't regret. Then when it came to Q&A, I thought it was more terrifying than the acting part. I waited anxiously when my turn was called. Grant Shen asked 4 questions- 2 of them director, 1 to Hale (Edmund), 1 to Mary (Menaka). Okay, so I was not asked any, haha so happy. Then TC asked 2 questions- both of them to the director. I was also not asked. Lastly, Gerald Chew... I'm the first one he asked. I paid my full attention to his question while trying to brush aside my anxiety. But do u know what his question is? I thought he was gonna ask specific acting or scene. It turned out that he asked, "Are you playing as an actor?" Yes, of course I am. I played as Francis Nurse, an old man. Then he asked what do I want (as the character) from the scene. It's sooo workshop type of question. Did he really watch my scene? He looked very exhausted though. Yeah it must be tiring coz the judges must be there since yesterday morning until today's evening.

I'm so relieved (I don't know how many times I've said this since we finished the PE)... Now I can concentrate studying for my other modules, including TS which still has theory exam. I think this TS module has high workload outside of class, but my overall opinion about this module is still as when I chose it. It is fun. I like particularly the practical part despite all of the complaints, stresses, and anxiety. I like my TS group. They are all so fun and supportive to each other. I admit that my lecturer is very good at this field, so are the instructors. Although Gerald is very direct and sometimes a bit harsh, he's very experienced in acting. TC is brilliant in directing and scriptwriting. And for me, I learned quite a lot of interesting things from this module. I learned about theatre, voice projection, acting, body language, psychology and everything is so applicable in real life. For example, sometimes when someone said something, it doesn't mean he/she means that literally, we must look at his/her body language coz there may be some "subtext" or underlying meaning of it. I also learned that acting is not easy. Especially if u have to personalized and be the character which is not yourself. U need research, and truly believe that you're that character. For PE, everytime there are old people passing me by, I look at them, how they walk and behave. It's still not easy to imitate though, haha. But I like it when I learn about someone else's world, personality and character.

I'm gonna miss this TS module, my groupmates and the rehearsals (eight in total). Elizabeth Tan, our dearest director who is very patient, always smiles and has very good sense of art (she directs plays, she also can play cello, piano and guitar!). Rachel Chia, our set director who made such lovely props (including the scary poppet which really turns out to be really scary). Both Elizabeth n Rachel are first year Arts student majoring English Literature. Jeannine Huynh, the costume designer, an exchange student from US whose accent I really like and whose drawing is amazing (like those fashion design students, but she's marketing major). Mark Seow, 3rd yr engine, who is sometimes a bit irritating, coz either he's late, didn't come up for rehearsals while he's the major character, or simply saying too direct things a.ka. almost insulting. And he likes to gossip about gay (have u ever heard that Judge Bao is gay? He also said that our instructor, TC, is a gay) But anyway we still survive him coz he's the most outspoken and the joker amongst us. Next, Jocelyn Tan, Mark's friend since childhood (so sweet!) but she's quite the opposite of Mark, not that talkative and she looks so mature and feminine. Sometimes whenever both of them come or rehearsals together, we think that Joce and Mark actually look good together (sorry, our group consists of 8 girls n 2 guys, so... gossip and chit-chat are the complementary session of our rehearsal) but Mark already has gf so we just forget that idea. Next, Edmund Chan, the priest to which I plead to in the drama, 3rd yr econs student, sometimes we call him "uncle" coz he's the oldest. At first I thought he's very reserved but it turns out that he actually can talk a lot. Menaka, 1st yr JS major, who is a nice girl though a bit shy. But I will remember her scene in the play. She played as a maid who is choked by her master (played by Mark) and thrown to the floor and she cried. That scene is heartbreaking. Next, Shih Yuan, a cheerful and friendly girl. I always laugh when she plays as a boastful court officer guy coz I think she's too cute to be a mean guy. Hehe but honestly she acted well in PE just now. Lastly, Sze Yin, a 1st yr ICM major girl. She's probably the closest one to me in TS module. We have tutorial, workshop and also PE group together. Woah... I'll miss all of them with all their uniqueness. I still recalled that our first rehearsal was very messy and we gradually improved, not only in our drama but we're also closer as we meet more and more. No regret taking TS, u can make new friends.

2 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Blogger sista said...

21 april.. wala.. heheh ;p ayo update len

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger pembual kata said...

뭐?? 왜바보?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home